YouTube Channel - DIY Builds

Monday 21 September 2015

How to Build a New Set of Stairs

This is the existing stair case. A side from being extremely ugly these stairs were only 9 inches wide, this is a huge problem for my size 14 feet. So they had to go.


I made 3 new stringers from 2x12s. I simply drew out the pattern on one, made my cuts with circular saw/jig saw and transferred the pattern to the other 2, then cut out the other 2.  The concrete nails needed to be angle ground off the wall before the new stringers could be attached. I also knocked the tiles that match the family room above which followed into the basement off so carpeting could go on.


I carefully placed the stringer in the correct location, checking for level and square, and drove 2x3.5" tapcon bolts with washers into the meaty parts of the stringer.


Same for the other side. I installed some rigid Styrofoam insulation around the brick walls, just because I had it laying around and otherwise it was going to the dump.


I attached the top stair and then aligned the middle stringer. The bottom stair lifted the middle stringer into place. I installed a couple of door shims under each stringer because the floor wasn't totally even. This gave a lot of extra support and prevented any sagging in the middle.


The last 2 stairs were attached after I added a couple of vertical 2x4 supports midway of each stringer.


I used some OSB to cap off the kickers once I made sure I didn't leave any tools under there.


And this is the end result.

No comments :

Post a Comment