YouTube Channel - DIY Builds

Tuesday 15 September 2015

How to Build a Custom TV Stand

Here is the completed TV stand. It has been in use for 5 years and is in perfect condition even after moving twice. The Wii was originally deigned for a DVD player and the space below was originally made for a VCR (yes I had one 5 years ago). The top shelves were designed for DVD game cases but have since migrated into CD books.


First I designed the TV stand in AutoCAD. I could then calculate how much stock I needed to finish. I believe it was 5x12' pieces.


The stock I got was 1 inch thick double sided veneer particle board 12 feet long by 16 inches wide. I used a level and some clamps to make all my cuts.


Here is shown all the cuts required for the build.


The whole TV stand was build with 2" finishing nails from the new nail gun I just bought and nothing else. I was very excited to have a nail gun. Only 3 nails at each joint, 2 at each end and 1 in the middle.


The back is a piece of 1/2" MDF. I measured out each location on each console/device's location of the power and AV cables and drilled holes large enough to fit their respective cables.


I simply went to home store and bought a small tester can of paint that matched the veneer best and painted at the exposed particle board. I know it's quick and dirty but most people when they see the TV stand never notice.


The back MDF needed a splash of paint on it as well. I also put a small drop in each hole where the 2" brad nail went in.

No comments :

Post a Comment