YouTube Channel - DIY Builds

Monday 21 September 2015

How Paint Kitchen Cabinets

This is how it looked when we moved into the house. 1 of 2


This is how it looked when we moved into the house. 2 of 2


I started by labeling each door with a piece of tape and a marker, numbering them from left to right. Then I took each door off. 


Next I removed the hinges and knobs. I then gave each door a good cleaning with scrubbing disinfectant wipes.


I wiped/cleaned the structure between doors and gave it all a light sanding with 120 grit.


I then gave each door a sanding with 120 grit.


I decided to give each door a special routered edge. Now these are particle board doors and do this at your own risk as it does not leave the cleanest finish. I choose to do it as I decided the look improvement from a far outweighed the up close nasty texture of the chewed up edges.


Each piece was wiped down with wet paper towers to get all loose dust off. everything received 3 coats of paint on front and back. I used CIL melamine for kitchen paint and it worked out great. Now I have had many problems with CIL wall paint in the past but this was a good product.


Once the structure was wiped down from the sanding debris everything received 3 coats of the same melamine paint.


The doors were all reattached once the new knobs and hinges were installed. This is the completed job minus the fact that we still need to redo the back splash and counter tops.

No comments :

Post a Comment