YouTube Channel - DIY Builds

Saturday 19 September 2015

How to Build Custom Built-In Book Shelves / Home Library

Completed library shelves 1 of 2


Completed library shelves 2 of 2


Step one was to get room dimensions and create an AutoCAD model so I can develop a plan of attack and calculate my material needed. Of course everything changes in the field but I remained somewhat faithful to the original design.


A look at the room when we moved in.


I started by removing the room separating banisters.


Came off with a couple nails being pulled, obviously not load bearing.


I used stock from home depot, 12" by 8' by 5/8" thick white melamine particle board as it was available in mass amount and very cheap.


I started with all the vertical pieces and made sure to cut the base on a slight angle (or how ever the floor dictated) to make sure they rested fully against the walls.


I simply started screwing together the shelves as shown in my AutoCAD drawings. They are held together with 2 screws in each end, pre-drilled of course. (4 screws per shelf)


Once I reached this point I attached the smaller sections to the wall and floor with L brackets and into the studs where possible.


The bottom shelf was spaced so that my molding used in the rest of the house lined up perfectly.


A top piece was simply finishing nail gun fasted to the vertical pieces. A piece of molding was flipped upside down for the crown. A return air vent cover was added and I make sure not many things are obstructing that lower shelf.


The last and smallest pieces of the library was built once the small wall was cleaned, puddied, and painted.


I wanted this shelf to have a large table top for when guest arrive to put there stuff down, or realistically where all our mail accumulates.


I installed a small power supply for the LED rope lights along the top of all the tall shelves.




They are fully customization with remote control and can act as room lighting when set to white.


1 comment :

  1. I'm inspired by the idea that people are still out there building their own custom household furniture and appliances. When I go into a store these days, I have two or three options for style and price. With this, I could pick and choose my own designs and bring a space alive around me with my own creations. I look forward to trying it.

    Lisa Brady @ R and K Custom Homes

    ReplyDelete