YouTube Channel - DIY Builds

Sunday 13 September 2015

How to Build a Tool Bench With Large Pull Out Storage


Tool bench 2 years after completion.


I did a quick sketch in AutoCAD to get the feel for the project and calculate how much stock I needed.



I started by making the 9 drawers, nothing fancy just screws along the right and left edges into the 5/8" plywood, of course pre-drilled to avoid splitting. The base of the drawers is also 5/8" plywood.


I started the frame with a 2x4 anchored to the studs on the back wall. I then notched the 4 plywood vertical supports around the front center and back 2x4s for the table top support. Again there is 5/8" plywood between each set of drawers and the walls. The ones on the wall were anchored to the studs as well.


Where the table top support 2x4s meet the vertical plywood drawer supports I boxed them in so there was more horizontal support. Then added extra 2x4 bracing for the top in the middle of the drawers. The drawers were mounted with 28" full extension heavy duty drawer slides.


Center drawers were attached and a 2x4 was added to the very bottom front to lock the front bottom of the vertical drawer support plywood in place. They were not anchored to the floor.


Since the drawers are equipped with 28" slide and the table is 36" deep they are not full extension but it has never been a problem getting to the back with the size of the drawers. The drawers were spaced so that I could even fit my small miter saw in them.


Small part organizers were on sale so I wall mounted them with a 2x3 for support into the studs on the bottom and through the metal case into some stud mounted plywood on the top.

No comments :

Post a Comment