YouTube Channel - DIY Builds

Sunday 20 September 2015

How to Build a Deck (with a Hot Tub in the Middle)

A look at the completed deck with new patio pad and landscaping around it.


A Layout of the backyard plan. The shed changed slightly, see here for how it turned out:
Do It Yourself Builds: DIY Builds - How to Build a Shed


I used the AutoCAD model to generate a stock list for all the material I would need.


I laid out locations of the 4x4x12' post and used a one man auger to drill down 4 feet (below the frost line). Each post needed 2 bags of post mix, I mixed in a wheelbarrow and poured into each checking for square and level as I went. There are 4 main beams that are 2x8x16 that span 3 4x4 post each. They are lagged into the post with 2 bolts into each and a bunch of 3 inch screws. The joist spand between these main beams with a couple screws to set them in place and after joist hangers were added.


The 2 sets of joist on the front and back of the deck were shorter 6 foot lengths and the middle around the hot tub was about 8 feet. Because of this extra length I added cross bracing to tie them together and stop the boards from twisting or propellering.


I used 2x6x16 decking as it is much stronger. Where each joist meets each decking board I put in 2 3 inch deck screws. The 2 middle 4x4 post (seen in the last picture) were cut flush to allow decking over it.


I used a jig saw to round the corners of the 2x6 decking at the rounded corners of the hot tub. a 2x6 rail was added 4 feet above the decking. This is used to attached the fence boards around the entire deck for safety and privacy. Each board used a small nail as a spacer. The deck boards shrink over time so this has since then caused spacing between boards of about 1/4".


 After all the fence boards were added I installed the top railing to cap it. This strengthened the railing significantly.


Since the deck was built 3 feet from the fences, to abide by local building codes and just a smart practice, I created a walking path. This path was leveled and black geo-textile material was laid for water drainage and to stop weeds as I never want to maintain this area (cutting grass).


The deck needed an extension off the concrete patio. I dug out 5 inches down and framed in the area to be poured. I made used to wrap foam around the conduit and between the existing concrete to allow for expansion.


I don't claim to be a master of concrete pouring on my first attempt but after I took off some high spots with an abrasive concrete smoothing stone it looks good.


I simply made a step out of 2x6s framed as a simple box that attaches to the 4x4 post on either side.

2 comments :

  1. This is my first visit to your web journal! We are a group of volunteers and new activities in the same specialty. Website gave us helpful data to work. kanadské vízum online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, awesome blogs. I also enjoyed the photos of each blog.. Very lovely and stunning. I want to share one website. if you are interested in making a clean home this web is for you bcz this admin works on this type of content. Please visit this web decking Guide. Thanks, the admin writes an awesome blog. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete